Monday, February 15, 2010

Kim's Apple Tart: Better Late than Never

Crust:
1/2 c. butter, softened
3/4 c. flour
1/4 c. sugar

Press in springform or tart pan, bake at 350F for 8-10 min.

Filling:
Cream 6 oz. Neufchatel or cream cheese (Neufchatel is supposedly less fat with all the flavor)
Stir in:
1 egg, beaten
1 Tbsp. cream (or milk)
1/2 c. ricotta cheese
2 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. lemon juice

Pour over crust.

Topping-Apple Part:
Peel, core, and slice 2 Granny Smith apples
Splash some lemon juice over top so they don't get brown and stir them up
Set aside

Bring to boil:
3/4 c. water
1/2 c. sugar
Splash of vanilla
3 slices apple

Mix 1/4 c. water and 2 Tbsp. clear jel (or cornstarch, you poor thing)
Add to boiling mixture, stirring constantly til thick.
Remove from heat and add:
~2 tsp. cinnamon
~1/2 tsp. nutmeg

Pour over sliced apples. Stir together. Layer over the cream/crust layer. Bake at 350F for about 45 min. or til you think the creamy layer is cooked.

Ok, so. I just had my first piece and it's quite delicious, if I do say so myself. I didn't want the texture of the cream part to be completely creamy, so I like the ricotta for that. However, next time I think I would add some more lemon juice and a bit more sugar to that part. The crust was delicious, but I wanted it to be a bit more phyllo-dough-like than it was. I really loved the apple part, and overall it wasn't that sweet which is what I was going for as well (not that I was trying to be like Robyn or anything). :) I'm pretty pleased with it. Oh, please don't think I'm so fancy that I keep ricotta on hand. I just happened to have some leftover from a lasagna and thought it would be good in there. :) Also: this turns out quite thin and would easily fit in a tart pan, which is also what I was going for. Pictures to follow.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds good! I love your 'you poor thing' comment. :)

    ReplyDelete