Sunday, September 26, 2010

Apple Pie Bars

Crust:
2 c. flour
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 egg
1 c. butter
Mix together and press into a greased 9x13 pan. Chill in refrigerator until you have the other parts ready.

Filling:
5 c. apples, peeled and diced
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1/4 c. flour
2/3 c. sugar
1 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. salt
Sprinkle apples with lemon juice. Add remaining ingredients and toss gently. Spread apples evenly over crust.

Topping:
1/2 c. flour
1/2 c. quick oats
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 c. butter or margarine
Mix dry ingredients together, then cut in butter until crumbs form. Sprinkle crumbs evenly over apple mixture.
Bake at 375 F for 40 minutes, or until apples are soft and the bottom of the crust looks golden. Cut into 24 squares

That last line is just a complete guess, because I don't know how long I baked them. I started them at 375 and then was in a hurry and cranked it up to 400 F...just bake them.

I was dreaming up these bars for awhile, and I couldn't find any recipes that looked like what I was dreaming of. Out of pure desperation, I pulled from two different recipes and made adjustments and OH MY WORD they turned out soooooooooooooooo good! Kirk and I were quite blown away by them and I think they might be the best dessert I've had in a good long while. Please make them and tell me if you love them the way I do.

5 comments:

Kim said...

Can't wait to try this.

Karla said...

On second thought, I think I would cut this recipe in half and put it in a 9x9, unless I was making it for a large group. It doesn't keep it's true goodness more than 3 or 4 days. Just so you know.

angie said...

i think i may take jackson apple picking this weekend and i definitely want to try this (maybe with a little powdered sugar icing drizzled on top...). any recommendations for type of apple?

Karla said...

I can't remember what kind I used...sorry!

Anonymous said...

We (Karka and I) just tried this again and realized the brown sugar was probably left out of the topping. A nice vanilla glaze saved the day. Mom