Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Naan

1 Tbsp. yeast
1 cup warm water
1/4 cup white sugar
3 tablespoons milk
1 egg, beaten
2 teaspoons salt
4 1/2 cups flour
butter

In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand about 10 minutes, until frothy. Stir in sugar, milk, egg, salt, and enough flour to make a soft dough. Knead until smooth. Place dough in a well oiled bowl, cover, and let rise for about an hour.
When ready, punch down, and break off into small balls about 2" in diameter. Roll very thin, and cover the rolled ones with a towel. When they're all rolled out, you can start frying them (it's good to let them rise for a few minutes while you finish the others. No need to wait too long though).
Heat a skillet, just on medium heat. You can adjust the heat as you go. I like to use my cast iron. Put just a dab of butter in before you start frying, and every so often. You don't want them greasy, but just a bit is good. Fry until golden and puffy, then turn over.

*It's really good to have some cucumber/tomato/yogurt salad to dip these in.
*I forgot to count how many pieces this made, but it was plenty for our family.

1 comment:

  1. Karla7:59 PM

    This is really good, and pretty easy too. I found that if I stack the whole batch and then start frying, they stick together pretty badly at the bottom. Next time I'll get a few ready, and then roll as I fry. Also, this made a dozen, give or take a few, for me.

    ReplyDelete