Sunday, July 20, 2008

Rich Sweet Dough for Cinnamon Rolls

When Matthew and I got married Granny wrote out a little notebook of recipes for me. I treasure having those recipes in her handwriting and have used them often. For the life of me, I don't know why I haven't made a point to try every single one. For instance, one entitled "Rich Sweet Dough for Cinnamon Rolls." Cumbersome title, no? The line underneath reads "a no-knead refrig. dough that makes a rich, tender product." It doesn't lie. No kneading, and it makes some of the best rolls I've ever made. And don't even get me started on the part about the dough being in the fridge for up to three days! That means it's possible to have hot cinnamon rolls for breakfast without getting up before 3AM.

Here goes:

Scald 3/4 cup milk; stir in 1/2 cup sugar, 1 tsp salt and 1/2 cup margarine. Cool to lukewarm. Measure 1/2 cup warm water into mixing bowl. Sprinkle with 2 Tblsp yeast; stir until dissolved. Stir in milk mixture and 2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in 2 cups of flour to make a stiff batter. Cover tightly and refrigerate at least 2 hours. Dough may be kept in fridge 3 days. To use: cut off desired amount and shape into cinnamon rolls, buns or crescents. Let rise for 45-60 minutes and bake at 375*F till lightly browned.

Enjoy. I can tell you that I will make these for company breakfasts and most likely Christmas morning. Easy peasy. :D

3 comments:

  1. Oh I can't wait to try these. I guess I shouldn't leave a comment until I do. Or you could just make them for me while you're here. :-) You should remember to bring recipes along if you haven't posted them. Just in case.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's me again. Okay, I did these almost the way they're written. I used part whole grain flour, and cut the sugar in the dough in half. Also, I didn't butter the dough before putting on the sugar and cinnamon (I felt guilty about all the butter I was using). Also, I made them into pecan sticky rolls using a different recipe for the stickiness! Next time I would get them out of the fridge about an hour before I need to roll them out. I could hardly roll them out. Anyway, I was skeptical that they would be nice since the dough was so tough, but they turned out SOFT AND AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha...so, years after i posted this i see that i forgot the egg. add 1 egg with the first flour. :)

    ReplyDelete