Monday, February 09, 2009

Oat and Flax Bread

Robyn asked if I found a different kind of flour for baking bread. No, but I found a recipe that seems to work well with this flour. I added the oatmeal and flax seed because I only have white flour right now and wanted to add some fibre.

Mix together:

2 ½ cups flour (I use white, cause that’s what I have...I’m sure whole wheat would work, too)

1 tbsp salt

3 tbsp sugar

1 heaping cup oatmeal

3 tbsp flax seed (the kind that is “pre-chewed”...ha ha. I can’t remember what it’s called, but it says it doesn’t need to be ground.)

2 tbsp margarine or Crisco

2 tbsp instant or regular yeast

Add:
2 1/3 cups very warm water

Mix together for at least one minute.

Add flour, one cup at a time, kneading well between each cup. When the dough is like bread dough should be, knead it well for 5-10 minutes. (Yes, I do this all by hand, and find it therapeutic. If you have a fancy machine, I have no idea how long to knead it.)


Cover and let rise for 45 minutes. Form into two loaves and let rise again for 25-40 minutes, until almost doubled. Bake at 350 for 30ish minutes.


No comments: