This summer the kids and I joined the in-laws and their friends at a cabin for a few days. Deb had brought these, and I have to admit, at first glance I thought they looked terrible. I started nibbling on one and was amazed. I couldn't pinpoint what the familiar taste was, but now I know it is blueberry cobbler. Little, yummy, doughy, cinnamon-y, sugary bites of blueberry cobbler. (I am especially thinking of Kim when I say that.)
A couple of things:
1) I made these with whole wheat pastry flour and I think they are very, very nearly as good as the original.
2) I made them with frozen blueberries, and while the berries were very hard to incorporate into the dough, it turned out okay. Experiment with another method other than adding them in at the end.
3)Don't forget the all-important, long-standing, ultimate cookie rule of leaving them just a tad on the doughy side.
1 C butter, softened (please don't bother wasting your time with margarine)
1 1/2 C brown sugar (I cut back on this just a bit)
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
3 1/2 C flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp cinnamon
2 Tbsp milk + more if needed
1 1/2 C fresh blueberries
Beat butter and sugar until smooth, then add egg and vanilla. Mix well.
Mix in dry ingredients until dough comes together. Add milk a little at a time until dough is no longer crumbly.
Fold in blueberries gently (this is the part I'm not sure about. I think you should mix them with the flour first perhaps).
Refrigerate 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 375F.
Roll dough into balls and bake 10-12 minutes but not too long!
Thanks, Deb! :-)
These are amaaaaaaaazing!!!! I only put in 3 cups of flour and no milk and did not chill them. Because I'm disobedient. And I put in the frozen blueberries with the flour. The slightly doughy ones are soooo good, and the almost-sort-of-overbaked ones are SOOOOOOOO good dunked in espresso! Yum.
ReplyDelete