Wednesday, July 08, 2009

here, there, and back again

i really wasn't planning to post this story, but robyn thought i should so here goes. i decided to make this cake for our 4th of july bbq with some friends of ours. there were 4 of us there. we each had a piece, and i left a good sized piece with them (about the size of 2 slices). the next night we went to my cousin's house for dinner, and i took the cake there to share. 4 adults plus 1 child each had a piece, and i left another (normal size) piece with them. the next day i had a piece with my lunch but still, there was cake. that night i went out with 2 friends and dropped jose off at one house to hang out with one of the husbands and he took the cake there. he and the husband of my friend each had a piece, and... we left the last piece there. finally the cake was gone. you can do the math to see how many servings it serves.

the weird thing about this cake is that it's quite a lot like a banana or nut bread of some kind, so it's not the normal cake texture. also, they ask for way way way too much icing sugar for the icing. the other thing is that although the link i've posted appears to be the exact same recipe (same magazine, same person's name, same picture of the cake) there are some minor differences from the one i made. so if you choose to make this cake, please keep in mind two things: 1. i want to hear how yours turned out with those changes, and 2. this cake is enormous. beware.

4 comments:

My Not-So-Empty-Nest said...

After checking out that cake recipe, I decided to wait to eat it when I come to your house, Kim. The 2 2/3C. pecans is about 1/4 the amount I usually have on hand for the year!
More or less :) But I do admit that it sounds like some tasty eating.Did you notice that someone left a comment on the bottom saying it's way too much icing?

karla said...

16 servings, if i counted right! it looks good! you could've sent a piece to me...via fedex, perhaps? think about it next time, please.

Matthew and Rhonda said...

wow. i also counted 16 pieces. maybe you should have made the pieces bigger? ha ha. i crack myself up.

Robyn said...

For some reason I missed this post... i like the story, though
:-) I really want a piece of this cake...but did you guys check out the carb count? I laughed when I saw it. I have a feeling it'd be worth it (for me, not my daughter).