Thursday, January 28, 2010

Lentil Vegetable Soup

2 cups dry lentils, rinsed

8 cups chicken stock

1 onion, diced

1 ¼ cups diced carrots

¼ cup finely diced green pepper

1 Tbsp dried parsley

3 Tbsp tomato paste

2-3 cloves garlic, minced

1 Tbsp cumin

½ tsp turmeric

1 cup chopped cauliflower

Mix everything except the cauliflower together in a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 30-40 minutes. Add cauliflower and let it simmer for another 10 minutes or until cauliflower is cooked. Serve with fresh bread and cheese.

My notes:

I radically changed an allrecipes.com recipe and this is the end result. I used green lentils, but I think you could use any colour. The original recipe called for more tomato paste, so if you like it really tomato-y you might want to add more. I think peas would be good in this, but I didn’t have any. Four out of six people in my family liked this. J

1 comment:

Rhonda said...

April 2010 - i'm back to say: this soup is really good with some leftover roast beef or pork chopped up and added to it.

today i cooked up a bunch of beef and pork in coke (yes, coca-cola) in the crock pot. it just falls apart after that. i froze most of it for future use, but added some to the soup. it got good reviews from my people. :)