Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Shrimp Pad Thai

8 oz. uncooked wide rice noodles
1 lb. small shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 Tbsp. canola oil
1 large onion, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 eggs, beaten
3 c. coleslaw mix
4 green onions, thinly sliced
1/3 c. rice vinegar
1/8 c. sugar
4-5 Tbsp. soy sauce
3 Tbsp. fish sauce
1 Tbsp. chili sauce
2 Tbsp. chopped salted peanuts, plus more for garnish
Chopped fresh cilantro leaves
2 limes, cut in wedges

Soak noodles in hot water until soft, about 30 minutes. In a large nonstick wok, stir-fry shrimp in oil until shrimp turn pink; remove and set aside. Add onion and garlic to the pan, stir fry for 2-3 minutes. Make a well in the center of the onion mixture; add eggs. Stir fry for 2-3 minutes until eggs are completely set. Add the coleslaw mix, green onions, vinegar, sugar, soy sauce, fish sauce, chili sauce and peanuts; heat through. Return shrimp to the pan; heat through. Drain noodles; toss with shrimp mixture. Garnish with cilantro and peanuts.

This is from Taste of Home, with a few small changes. We thought it tasted pretty darn close to the real thing.

3 comments:

Robyn said...

Since when is Taste of Home making Pad Thai??? They've come a long way, apparently! :-)

Karla said...

We liked it! We put all the chili sauce in and it was perfect for us, and a little too spicy for Mayah. We also thought it was a little too vinegar-y, but still good. Oh, and we made it with chicken, which worked fine, of course.

Kim said...

Glad you liked it. I think I may have cut back on the vinegar, I can't quite remember. I like pad Thai with chicken better than shrimp, so next time I'll probably do that.