This date cake does not contain a drop of sugar. It is super moist and so delicious. I like to serve it with (a lot) of whipped cream (can sweeten with a bit of honey or maple syrup to make it truly sugar-free), and sliced bananas. This recipe doubles well for a 9x13" pan.
It is from The Great Nova Scotia Cookbook, by Pauline Carter
Place in a saucepan:
juice of 1 large orange
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
1 C raisins (I usually use extra dates in place of the raisins but I don't think it matters)
1/2 lb dates
2 C water
Bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes or until dates are very soft. Make sure to stir it often. Set aside to cool. Puree with hand blender (or mash well with a potato masher or something).
Pour into a large bowl and add the following:
1/2 C oil
2 tsp vanilla
2 C whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
Mix well and then pour into a greased 9x9" pan. Bake in preheated oven at 350F.
The original recipe says to bake it about 1 hour, but I find it's always done before that.
Bake it until a toothpick comes out clean!
Wednesday, March 20, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment