Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Shrimp Tacos


I made shrimp tacos for my birthday dinner today and they turned out deliciously. I thought I would resurrect ye olde blog and post what I did and what I would do next time to make them even better.

My inspiration for these tacos began with the marvelous shrimp tacos at Blanco Tacos + Tequila. Here's basically what they do:

Street taco sized tortillas, flour or corn
Pan fried shrimp
Guacamole
Pickled red onion
Sliced fresno chiles
Cotija cheese

I loosely followed the recipe from here for the seasoning for the shrimp and ended up mixing together:
1 1/2 Tbsp paprika
1/2 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper

I used 2 tsp of the above mixture, mixed with 1 Tbsp cornstarch and tossed with the shrimp.

I also used this recipe and did a quick pickling of the red onion. Then it's just a matter of making the guacamole (fairly smooth, not so chunky, to be true to Blanco), slicing the chiles, crumbling the cheese, warming the tortillas, and frying the shrimp. I fried the shrimp in vegetable oil and a screaming hot pan for a couple of minutes per side and they were fantastically plump and not rubbery at all. I would, however, like to try the following seasoning amounts next time (for 1 lb of shrimp):

1 1/2 Tbsp paprika
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp garlic powder
3/4 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper

Use 2 tsp of the above mixture and mix with 1 Tbsp cornstarch. (I left out the thyme on purpose; I don't think the flavors went together.)

All in all, success! I hope you make them and enjoy them as much as we did.

No comments: