Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Tres Leches

Cake:
6 eggs
6 Tbsp sugar
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla
1 c. flour

Prep: Separate eggs, save yolks and whites. Beat egg whites until foamy. Gradually add sugar and egg yolks, folding in yolks one at a time; in the same way add flour, baking powder and vanilla. Grease 9x13" pan, bake at 350 for 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Poke cake all over with a fork while it is warm.

Leches:
(It is best if all of these ingredients are very cold)
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 can evaporated milk
1/4 pint whipping cream
1 tsp vanilla

1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 can evaporated milk

Prep: Mix together first 4 ingredients and pour on cake. Let soak in until all liquid has been absorbed. Refrigerate for an hour, then mix last two ingredients and pour over cake.

Topping:
1/4 pint whipping cream
6 Tbsp powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla

Prep: Whip whipping cream until stiff, then gradually add powdered sugar and vanilla. Pour over cake.

My notes: Jose made this cake according to the above directions, and it was really really good. However, the next time I make it I will make some changes. First, use a smaller pan. Not as small as a 9x9, but something in between that and a 9x13 (is an 8x11 a real thing?). It just seemed a little too thin. Second, it was just barely on the dry side, so I would underbake it a bit. Third, for the topping I would use a lot more whip cream and a lot less powdered sugar; it was quite sweet and (I thought) too thin of a layer. And finally, I would like to experiment with adding a coffee flavor somehow. I was thinking of maybe adding cold espresso to the milks (you'd have to cut back on the milks) before pouring them over the cake. All of that to say that if you do indeed make it according to the recipe above, you will probably like it a lot. But if you tweak it a bit you might like it even more.

2 comments:

Kim said...

P.S. I also saw somewhere that some people sprinkle a little cinnamon on top of the whipped cream, and I thought that sounded good too.

Robyn said...

Do I need to have an excuse to make this???