Monday, August 31, 2009

Orange Bran Muffins

I feel like a traitor to my in-laws, posting this recipe. Until recently, I never made any bran muffins unless they were Jim and Barb's recipe. But, now I found this recipe and it's my new favourite. *hanging head*

It probably makes it worse that it comes from the Nisly cookbook. *shoulders slumping*

But, they're so good, you have to try them. :)

Mix together:
1 1/4 cup wheat bran
1 cup toasted wheat germ (I don't have any right now, so I use bran for this)
1 cup brown sugar
2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp grated orange peel

Mix together:
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup molasses
1/2 cup oil
2 cups buttermilk (I use 1/2 plain yogurt, 1/2 milk)
1 cup boiling water
(I usually squeeze in a few squeezes of orange juice from the orange I scraped the peel off of...but the recipe didn't call for that.)

Combine 2 mixtures. Spoon batter into greased muffin tins, filling each 2/3 full. Bake at 350* 15-20 minutes. Batter may be stored in refrigerator for up to 1 month and used as needed.
Yield: 2 dozen muffins

No comments: