Friday, December 11, 2009

Mini Mushroom Tarts



4 slices bacon
1 lg onion, finely chopped
1 1/2 lb. fresh mushrooms, coarsely chopped
1/4 c. butter
salt and pepper
5 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp dried parsley
1 pkg refrigerated pie dough
1 1/2 c. mozzarella cheese, shredded

Fry bacon, reserving all the fat. Crumble and set aside. Saute onions in reserved fat over medium-low heat until caramelized, about 20 min. Set onions aside with bacon. Melt butter in the same pan over medium-high heat. Add coarsely chopped mushrooms, garlic, salt, pepper and parsley, and saute until mushrooms are done. Drain excess liquid, and combine mushrooms with bacon and onions. Stir together until well-mixed and chill. When mixture is chilled, add cheese and mix well again. Pre-heat oven to 350 F. Cut out 2 1/2-inch rounds from pie crust and place rounds in mini muffin pans. Fill as full as possible with mushroom mixture and bake for about 15 minutes or until crusts are golden. Serve warm or cold. Makes about 56 mini tarts.

I came up with this for the Ugly Christmas Sweater Party we're going to tonight. I guess I don't know if they'll be a hit there, but Kirk and I have tested several of them and we approve. I had several tablespoons of mushroom mixture leftover, and we broiled it on top of some bread we had. It was pretty tasty!

And I'd like to dedicate this recipe to Rhonda. HAHAHA!!!

4 comments:

Kim said...

these look really good... but do you really saute the onions for 20 min?

Rhonda said...

i'm touched. ha.

these look like something i WANT to like, but can't. :)

Karla said...

Yes, Kim, to caramelize them. Rhonda, you could try to like them!

Robyn said...

this looks kind of like an app I had at a very cool restaurant the other night. it was made w/ wild mushrooms and aged white cheddar and served with baby pea greens. It was SOOOooooo good. So you are cooler than you think!