Friday, December 04, 2009

Whipped Shortbread with Chocolate Ganache



Shortbread:
2 cups butter, softened
1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
3 cups flour
1 cup cornstarch

Beat butter at medium speed until light and fluffy. Gradually add dry ingredient, beating constantly until well blended. Dust hands with cornstarch and roll into 1-inch balls. Place on ungreased cookie sheet and press lightly with floured fork. Bake at 300 F for about 20 minutes.

Chocolate Ganache:
1 ounce bittersweet baking chocolate
1/4 cup whipping cream
1/4 powdered sugar

Heat cream in saucepan over medium heat until almost boiling. Add chocolate and stir until smooth. Add sugar and stir again until smooth. Using a spoon, place a bit of chocolate in the center of each baked cookie and let cool.

So, next time I will not press so much with the fork, since they got pretty flat. Also, I suspect the dough would be easier to handle if it were chilled for an hour before forming it into balls. I made up the chocolate part, and I just added the sugar until it tasted good so I'm not sure it was exactly 1/4 cup. My problem with the ganache was that there was a good bit of melted fat, which I assume came from my heavy whipping cream. Maybe light cream would work better. Either way, I was pleased with how these looked and how they tasted too.

2 comments:

My Not-So-Empty-Nest said...

I bet these just melt in your mouth--no chewing needed, eh?

Karla said...

Pretty much!