1 1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup icing sugar
1/2 cup + 1 Tbsp salted butter
2 egg yolks
1 tsp vanilla
Mix the flour and icing sugar, then cut the butter in with a pastry blender. With a fork, mix the yolks and vanilla together, then gently combine with the flour mixture. Mixture will stay crumbly, but not dry. Reserve 1/2 cup of crumbs and press the rest into a pie or tart pan. (I suppose a springform pan would work well, too. Chill crust for 20-30 minutes and then bake at 375 for 8-10 minutes. Press down any bubbles that formed while baking.
Apple filling:
Peel, core and slice 4 medium apples (a good baking variety if you can get them!)
Toss the apple slices with 2 tsp lemon juice. Mix together the following and then combine with the apples:
2 Tbsp flour
1/4 cup + 1 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp salt
Place the filling into the crust.
Crumb topping:
Cut together with a pastry blender:
reserved crumbs from the crust
1/4 cup margarine or butter
1/8 tsp salt
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/4 tsp cinnamon
Evenly top the apples with this mixture.
Bake at 350*F for about 30 minutes or until the apples are soft.
I made a caramel sauce for topping the tart, but I forgot to write down exactly how I made it. :) You're on your own for that, I guess.
My taste testers (and I) enjoyed this a lot, but the Chief Taste Tester in my house says he will take an ordinary apple pie any day. :) I liked the way this turned out, but thought the caramel sauce made it a little too sweet for me. Good idea, Karla!
2 comments:
Sounds good. Can't handle the caramel, eh? Light weight. :)
I made this while Mom and Dad were here, and it was really good. I just wish I had baked it a bit longer, b/c the apples were a little too crunchy for me. Also, we all agreed that the caramel sauce (my recipe) added a lot to it (no offense, Rhonda, it was a fantastic tart :). I liked this crust better than my recipe. Good job.
Post a Comment