Thursday, May 17, 2012

Mayonnaise

*note: I would post a picture, but my photos are not that great and it would make it look bad. thank you.


*another note: I have always steered clear of making my own mayo, because I couldn't imagine it actually turning out. Last night I wanted garlic mayo and found this darling. This is the most amazing mayo I have ever tasted. I don't think I'm exaggerating. I added about 3 cloves of garlic to this and I may have had terrible breath afterwards, but it was worth it. Don't ask anyone else if they agree.


And now, whisk together the following, or use a mini-food processor:

1 large egg yolk
2 tsp dijon mustard
1/4 tsp salt

Measure out 1/2 C oil. (I used canola oil. I was hesitant to use olive oil)
Add a few drops of oil and continue to whisk or pulse in food processor.
It will begin to thicken soon, and when it does, add tiny bits of oil in a slow and steady stream (or a few drops, pulse, a few more drops, pulse) If you add too much at a time it will not blend properly.
Continue to whisk or process until all oil is mixed in and mixture is thick.
Add:
1-2 tsp fresh lemon juice
3 cloves chopped garlic, if you want
Mix again.

This will keep in the refrigerator about 3 days.
I was very surprised how easy and fast this was. And so much better than prepared mayo!
I'm thinking this would make wonderful egg salad sandwiches!









No comments: