Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Flour Tortillas

Hey, good idea Karla! And, such good timing, because I'm so proud of myself...yesterday I made my own homemade flour tortillas and they were good! So, I know you all can run to the store and buy yourselves a package, but just in case you want to be like me...

Flour Tortillas

Mix:
3 cups flour
2 tsp each baking powder and salt

Cut in:
1/4 cup shortening

Mix in:
3/4 cup hot water

Stir/knead until you have a solid ball of dough. Cover and let rest for 30 minutes. Divide into 12 pieces and roll each piece out to 1/8" thickness. Fry for about one minute on each side on an ungreased skillet or griddle. Yum.

(I used less baking powder and they still puffed up pretty good. I also stacked mine in a towel as I fried them and that gave them a nice flexibility! :-)

Rhonda

1 comment:

kirkandkarla said...

kirk just made tortillas the other night b/c we were out and he was making tacos. our recipe did not call for baking powder, and they still puffed up, so maybe you don't need it at all? anyway, they were really good and i told him we're not buying tortillas anymore.
karla