Monday, August 31, 2009

Gran's Breakfast Pockets

Dough:
2 Tbsp yeast
1/2 cup warm water
3/4 cup evaporated milk
1/2 cup oil
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp salt
3-4 cups flour

Dissolve yeast in water in large bowl. Let sit a few minutes, then add milk, oil, sugar, egg, salt and 2 cups flour. Beat well. Add enough flour to form soft dough. DO NOT KNEAD. Cover, let rise for about 1 hour.

Filling:
1 lb. sausage
1/2 cup chopped onion
1-2 cups shredded cheese
7 eggs, lightly beaten
3 Tbsp milk
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp garlic salt
2 1/2 cup frozen shredded hashbrowns, thawed

Fry sausage and onion, drain. Add hashbrowns, eggs, milk and seasonings. Cook and stir until eggs are set. Sprinkle with cheese. Keep warm.

Punch down dough. Roll dough into 14-16 7" circles. Top each with 1/3 cup filling and pinch edges to seal. Place on greased baking sheets. Bake at 350* for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.

These freeze well. Thaw overnight and warm in 350* oven for 8-10 minutes.

Rhonda's notes:
I've always needed more like 5 cups of flour to get a soft dough. It does need to be really soft, but less than 5 just gives me a batter.
I can't get breakfast sausage here, so I mostly use seasoned hamburger. (I have a mild Moroccan seasoning salt that is great for this...actually tastes like sausage.) For anyone in Mada, I have also used the saucisse de volaille and it was ok.
I tried adding the hash brown potatoes one time and thought they were unnecessary.
Since I don't use the hash browns, I use about 9-10 eggs.
Rather than messing with circles, I cut my dough into squares after rolling it out (16 squares, about 1/4" thick). Then I put the filling on, and pull the corners up to the middle, and pinch the edges. The pinched edges make an X, if that makes sense. Then I flip them over onto the baking sheet, and they are a neat square. Let me know if that doesn't make sense.
I usually give them another 10-15 minutes of rising time before baking.
I'd love to try adding green peppers for me or mushrooms for Matthew, but since the girls eat them too, and I'm not going to make custom food for each of us, I haven't. :)

No comments: